Is this forum dead?
 Page 1 of 1  [11 posts]   

Site Rank: Moderator

Post subject: Is this forum dead?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:17 am 

There seems to be very little activity here now other than spammers using dodgy posts to advertise their websites, which I keep editing out.

Are we dead in the water? No one seems to come here any more, and unless we try to deter the spammers, soon any useful information on here will be drowned by the tide of crap...

Healthy

Sponsored Ad

Post subject: Is this forum dead?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:17 am 

Post subject: Re: Is this forum dead?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:45 am 

I've now changed my actions on anything I perceive as spam. Most of the dodgy posts consist of a poorly-written reply which claims 'this of much interest in me try lose weight', or whatever, then a spam address or two tacked on or in the message. There was also a spate of copy and pasted messages from other forums (I searched the text strings on Google), with similar spam URLs in.

Whereas I was originally editing out any URLs, I've now started deleting whole posts - I hope I'm not exceeding my remit here, but no one else seems to be keeping an eye on things.

I'm thinking it might be an idea to give people a warning when they post like this (thus giving them a chance to show we've got it wrong, in the unlikely event we do), then if they do it again, permaban them. It might seem harsh, but boards soon drown under a flood of spam if you're not careful, and good boards go to the wall as no one wants to use a board like that.

I'm a moderator on a motorcycle related board, and we've had a major battle there with spammers, but with careful message moderation and filters in place to weed out potential spammers as they sign up, we've won the war against them. :peace:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:59 am 

Well, I've just done my first ban. The guy's had two warnings, and less than an hour later he did it again. His poorly worded, barely relevant posts were always accompanied by a spam link for fraxel surgery, breast surgery of chiropractors. I've had enough. THis kind of stuff isn't relevant to the board, and will only drag it down in the long run. I just wish there were a few others to help me deal with all this stuff before the board dies on its arse...

Site Rank: Site Admin

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:54 pm 

I really appreciate you keeping an eye on things! I just recently had a baby and she is 2 months old now. She doesn't let me get on the computer very much to check on things!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:48 am 

Congratulations Tammy!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:49 pm 

I'm still here, removing both spam and the spammers, though sadly genuine posts seem to be rare now. No Joebert or Y's Guy either. All gone.

The forum disappeared entirely at one point over the weekend!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:48 am 

Had a major league incursion of spam over the past two days! Not sure I'll be able to keep up with this on my own - more spam, no users, forum dies :cry: :cry: :cry:

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:50 pm 

Yes, I noticed. Actually the whole site was hacked and malicious code was everywhere on the site. Finally got it cleaned up. I really appreciate all the work you have done to try and keep this forum alive even though it has been so slow.

Hopefully I have found a way to keep the hackers away, but the spammy users is another issue all by itself. :(

Thank you!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:04 am 

Saw the site was hacked, or at least I guessed it was so. Was being redirected to a french search engine for a bit, then all seemed okay, then was getting the warning that it was being reported as an attack site, which obviously wasn't good! Left it a few days before returning, glad to see you've managed to get it back up and running!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:31 am 

Am still banning spammers and removing their posts left, right and centre. Wish there was a facility to ban them and remove all their posts in one go though - it becomes a laborious task after a while! Whilst the numbers are manageable I'll keep at it, but if they keep proliferating, then who knows?

Where oh where has everybody else gone? Tammy - I know you have a little one to take up your time, but where did everyone else go? We had a small, yet friendly community, then bang! it was gone, just like that. :cry:

Most fitness boards are just full of prats arguing about the best biceps exercise, or how 'so and so' is a pencilneck, or arguments about steroids. This one was a fitness board for the rest of us!

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:05 pm 

I'm not sure where the others have gone. I know I have been busy with my now 15 month old and I have baby #2 due this August!!! :)

Sort by  

Page 1 of 1  [11 posts]