Push through fatigue, pain and stressors!!!
 Page 1 of 1  [14 posts]   

Site Rank: Moderator

Post subject: Push through fatigue, pain and stressors!!!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:31 pm 

He guys and gals,

I thought it was high time that we start posting some of our accomplishments. I think that some of the best accomplishments that we achieve on our path are the small everyday obstacles that we never give ourselves credit for!

I created this post to give you and I small pats on the back for dealing with the obstacles that keep us from working out. Whenever you do not feel like working out (be it from a headache, tiredness, stress from work, errands, lack of time, boredom, hungry, etc.) but you workout anyways, I want you to post that did it. I want you to post your struggle and what made you decide to workout. You never know who will read these posts, sometimes what got you to work through your obstacle might help someone else going through the same thing!

Example:
"Post reply" to this post:

Had some foot pain but decided to ride the bike because I had a friend who was encouraging me to go with her.

That's all you have to do... and it is so rewarding to see in a couple months what all you worked through to make a real change in your life! Maybe you posting will even become a motivation to push through something... Good Luck! Keep me posted!!!

Healthy

Sponsored Ad

Post subject: Push through fatigue, pain and stressors!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:31 pm 

Site Rank: Healthy Associate

Healthy Associate

Post subject: Re: Push through fatigue, pain and stressors!!!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:19 pm 

Junior

I have been tired lately, but I still have been doing the workout!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:20 pm 

I am working through a strained muscle in my back and still getting over a nagging foot pain!

Site Rank: Site Admin

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:28 pm 

I've been pushing through lower back pain on and off since November of 2006. Some days it is better than others, but there is always a little nagging something back there.

Site Rank: Healthy Acquaintance

Healthy Acquaintance

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:02 am 

Hi everyone,

Last year in May 2008 I was diagnosed with Plantar Fasiitis and I want you to know what a struggle it is to keep working out. Then in the summer I hurt my shoulder inter-tubing behind my friends new boat. And I am 48 and kept saying no because I knew if I got hurt I would for sure be slow healing. Well I got hurt and now face surgery for a torn rotator cuff injury. I am waiting to get the surgery until September of this year. I struggle everyday to work out, I used to kick box at the Puyallup Y, and I used to do circuit and I cannot do either one anymore. I get discouraged because I cannot do what I used to and now I struggle with my weight and I can't seem to workout like I used to, but I keep going. I know I am healthier than I have been in years and I intend to keep going. So if you need encouragement to keep going with injury's just do it. Thanks for letting me share.
Terri

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:42 am 

Hi Terri,

I'm just wondering... do you where any orthotics in your shoes for the plantar fasciitis that you were diagnosed with? I know how painful it can be to workout with plantar fasciitis because, I too, have the same problem with my feet. I was diagnosed when I was about 20 years old. I am now 28 and have been wearing orthotics ever since I was diagnosed. The orthotics did the trick! As long as you wear them every day, the pain goes away. I saw the foot doctor and had some professional orthotics made. After I was no longer part of my parent's insurance, I couldn't afford the professional ones anymore, but I found that the $30 ones in the store work just as good! Check out the Spenco orthotics, brand those work for me!

Hope this helps. Let me know.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:16 pm 

Pain can be a hard thing to push though and it is not always necessarily good to push through it. Pain can be something that needs medical attention. Fatigue, on the other hand, is something that can definitely be pushed through. I'm going to spend some time talking about fatigue.

Fatigue

Some people have a hard time fighting through the fatigue when working out and probably give in to it more than not. They start to feel the burn and think that means it is time to quit, which isn't always true. To build muscle or to burn calories, you need to work until what is called "failure," which means one more rep past when you think your arms or legs (or whatever exercise you are doing) are going to break off. However, you need to be able to tell the difference between pain and fatigue. If you are a feeling a stabbing, shooting, radiating, or feeling like your joints are popping out of socket, you probably need to talk to a doctor. Otherwise, it is just muscle pain/fatigue and that is unfortunately exactly what you want when working out.

Some people don't like to workout or push themselves to feel the burn or fatigue because they don't like the feeling of being sore. You workouts are probably not going to be very effective if you do not ever feel that soreness feeling. If you're not ever sore after training, you do need to stimulate the muscle more effectively to get it to grow.

Breathing is a very important part of fighting fatigue. If you are breathing irregularly or holding your breath while exerting yourself, you are limiting the supply of oxygen available to your muscles and your brain. Learning to breathe from the diaphragm and to breathe regularly even under demanding physical conditions should be a priority for your training.

I found posted on a National Geographic article that "Recent research suggests that feeling fatigued is not a true indication of muscle failure but a sensation created by your nervous system to keep you from overexercising. The problem, however, is that your brain often underestimates what your body is capable of and will even shut you down preemptively, if you let it.

The study showed that fatigue is often a psychological construct rather than an absolute physical condition -- something that your brain creates when you start exercising, and then adjusts according to how long you train or compete," says Alan St. Clair Gibson, associate professor at the University of Cape Town. To get the most out of your body, you must reset how your nervous system perceives fatigue."

Here is one way to work on the mental fatigue:
The fact that fatigue is often only in your mind means that you can choose to ignore it. Next time you are working out and your muscles are failing, and you are thinking that there is no way I can continue at this pace say to yourself, in a crisp, clear voice, Thanks for the warning, but I'm going to relax and keep on going. When you acknowledge that this fatigue is a normal sensation associated with working out and exercise, the mind accepts it and you are liberated to push onward.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:16 pm 

I hate fatigue... Fatigue is my enemy... it makes me lazy... it makes me think about all the excuses I could use not to do exercise; but when I beat fatigue and push through it in my brain, that is when I know that I am really making a difference in my life... no longer am I a fair weather exerciser! I feel great, and I guess I have fatigue to thank for it because without being tested, I don't know how far I've come!!!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:01 am 

I hate cramps. I do a LOT of walking and lately I cramp up in the back of my calves fairly quick, yet I'm not sure why.

One time I walked 10 miles non-stop before I sat down on a bus stop bench to take a break, then the cramps really set in. I ended up taking the bus the rest of the way (about another 8 miles) and could barely walk for a couple of days after that.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:10 pm 

Cramps come from 3 common causes:

1) Dehydration... make sure you are drinking enough water

2) Potassium deficiency... eat a banana or take a pill

3) Contusion or too much stress on the muscle combined with a lack of stretching... stretch!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:23 pm 

I will have to try and remember to hit the produce store across the street for a bananna and bring a botle of water when I go for a walk from now on. Thanks! :D

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:17 pm 

No problem, I bet that will help the cramps! And don't forget to stretch...

Site Rank: Healthy Acquaintance

Healthy Acquaintance

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:47 am 

Hey Y's Guy,

I see you struggle with fatigue...don't we all! Well atleast I did also. I just teamed up with this awesome company. I'm sure...since you're a fitness person...you take vitamins. I have the perfect supplements for ya. Shoot me an email and I'll explain it to ya. NO pressure you dont have to buy anything I just want you to hear me out. I swear this is no gimmic. Just email me and i'll send ya some information.

Thank youuu,
~Brianna
:D

Site Rank: Healthy Friend

Healthy Friend

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:46 am 

i hate fatigue also but what can I so. No pain, no gain.

Sort by  

Page 1 of 1  [14 posts]