Sleeping affects weight loss
 Page 1 of 1  [11 posts]   

Site Rank: Moderator

Post subject: Sleeping affects weight loss

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:54 pm 

I was reading a couple studies both show that sleep affects weight loss. One said if you don't get enough sleep you are more likely to gain weight. The other said if you sleep too much you will gain weight. I think that these studies combined prove one thing; weight gain is a symptom of a bigger issue.

Weight loss is not just determined by sleeping just the right amount. It is determined by whether you are depressed and sleeping longer amounts or whether you are stressing your body out because you don't value yourself enough to get a good night sleep.

All too often we try a new fad or to try to fix a symptom and not fix the main problem. We think that sleeping the perfect amount will make us lose weight... heck, it even might help you to lose a little weight, but to truly lose weight and be healthy we must address the underlying problem. You have to ask yourself are you important enough to take care of yourself... if not how do you change your opinion of yourself?

Healthy

Sponsored Ad

Post subject: Sleeping affects weight loss

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:54 pm 

Post subject: Re: Sleeping affects weight loss

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:25 am 

Site Rank: Healthy BBF

Healthy BBF

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:30 pm 

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:27 pm 

The study showed that sleeping longer than 9 hours a day is bad for you because your metabolism is slower during that time and excessive sleep is a sign of depression and depression causes weight gain too.

too little sleep shows signs of elevated stress and less energy. Stress causes the body to store fat and without energy, the work needed to lose weight is less likely to be acheived.

Site Rank: Site Admin

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:17 am 

So you said sleeping longer than 9 hours is too much... but how much is too little?

Site Rank: Healthy BBF

Healthy BBF

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:09 pm 

This is what I think...

Your body does miraculous things while you sleep, fixing and repairing all sorts of things, I read that somewhere, so I would say the body needs 8 hours of sleep, no less. I would also say, that if you get 8 and 1/2 or 9 hours of sleep each night, you would just get more benefits from it.

I know there are people who get less sleep than that, and they say they feel great. But it's the long term effects of not enough sleep that will catch up to them someday. Get your 8 hours of sleep. It's very important!!

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:19 pm 

In the study they said people that get less than 6 hours of sleep a night are at risk for over-taxing the body.

In my personal opinion, I think it all depends on the person and their age. As we get older our bodies need less amounts of sleep. It becomes more efficient at doing all the things Ziggy eluded to in her post. I think a good test is to go to bed at your normal time of night on a day when you don't need to get up early and do not use the alarm clock. When you wake up that is how much time you need to sleep... unless of course you are running to the bathroom. An hour grace in either direction is okay but anything more and you might be getting into the deprivation of excess sleep zones.

Site Rank: Site Admin

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:25 pm 

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:35 pm 

everyone's body is different... If you are feeling good and healthy and do not have a lot of stress in your life it could just mean that your body needs a lot of sleep. If it is a high number I would try and do it two or three days in a row and take the average of the three... maybe your body is compensating from a lack of sleep from your normal sleep patterns. A couple days in a row would let your body adjust and give you an accurate assessment.

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:43 pm 

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:06 am 

Some days you will need more sleep than others... the body only holds like a two day sleep bank after that you cannot recover your missing sleep so after 2 days of recovery your body should be where it normally is. If you don't have a regular routine you won't have a regular sleeping pattern. That is why working shift work is the worse kind of job as far as stress on the body.

Stress does play a role on sleep patterns but it also plays a role in weight loss/gain too. Learning stress management and coping techniques can greatly improve your weight loss/gain goals and ability to keep your sleeping patterns regular and healthy.

Sort by  

Page 1 of 1  [11 posts]