Last minute chili
 Page 1 of 1  [3 posts]   

Site Rank: Moderator

Post subject: Last minute chili

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:13 pm 

I deviated from the normal way of making chili because I was short for time, but it actually turned out to be the best chili I've ever made. :D

Here's my ingredients.

• 80/20 ground beef, 1 lb
  • Garlic cloves, 1 large 1 small
  • Onion, 1 small
  • Green bell pepper, 1 large
  • Baby portobello mushrooms, 3/4 of a package
  • Tomato, 1 medium/large, red but not quite ripe, firmer is better
  • Tomato sauce, 1 can generic with no flavoring added
  • Chili powder, 2-3 tablespoons
  • Curry powder, 2-3 tablespoons
  • Salt, to taste

I started with my pound of 80/20 ground beef, I tossed it in a pot on medium-low heat and stirred it up in-between cutting everything else up.

With my beef in the pot I chopped up the last of my garlic and tossed it in with the beef, it was starting to get green sprouts growing out of it. :whistle:

Next I chopped up a large green pepper. Half of it was pretty roughly chopped and the other half was diced up a little more. Basically I started out chopping it into bits about the size of my thumbnail, then slacked off and started chopping it a little thicker as I went on. I put it all in a bowl off to the side.

I stirred the meat real quick, then did the same thing with an onion as I did with the pepper, starting small with the first half and then rough chopping the other. I went ahead and put the onion right into the pot with the beef and garlic.

Then I rinsed and sliced up the mushrooms. I turn them upside down and slice them about as thick as 2-3 quarters or nickels stacked together. I have a strange way of slicing mushrooms with long stems since I don't like to put the stems in. I slice half of it while holding the stem, them turn it around and slice the other half, while slicing the other half I can kinda roll the mushroom stem to the side so I slice around it. I put the mushrooms in the bowl with the green peppers.

After stirring the meat again I roughly chopped up the tomato into quarter inch or so cubes and put these cubes into the bowl with the other vegetables. Once I had the tomatoes in the bowl too I tossed the vegetables to mix them all up and put the bowl in the fridge.

Then I opened my tomato sauce and dumped it in the pan with the been, onions, and garlic and stirred that all together before opening/draining/washing a can of black beans and mixing that into the pot.

I forgot to mention that I put maybe a half cup of water in the pot with the beef/garlic/onions awhile ago so it didn't dry out.

Then I opened a can of chili beans, I don't even remember who makes them, they just say chili beans in mild sauce on the side. They're kinda like baked beans by the looks of them.

I mixed the chili beans in and let the whole thing cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Then checked it and gave it 3-4 more minutes before tossing in the vegetables.

Once the vegetables were added it thickened up considerably. I let it sit on medium heat for 5-7 minutes before dusting the top with chili and curry powders along with some salt, then waited 2-3 minutes more before having a bowl.

It was awesome! My whole thing when deciding to add vegetables was that I didn't want them over-cooked. The fresh crisp texture of the vegetables brought a whole new level of awesome to the chili, especially the bell peppers. :D

Healthy

Sponsored Ad

Post subject: Last minute chili

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:13 pm 

Site Rank: Site Admin

Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Last minute chili

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:51 am 

Didn't you post another recipe for a chili you made? How does this one differ from the previous one?

Site Rank: Moderator

Post subject: Re: Last minute chili

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:21 pm 

This one has vegetables other than tomatoes and I don't give it time to stew further than it takes to prepare things. :)

Sort by  

Page 1 of 1  [3 posts]