What exercise can I do to isolate my__(abs,triceps,quads)?
 Page 1 of 1  [6 posts]   

Site Rank: Healthy Friend

Healthy Friend

Post subject: What exercise can I do to isolate my__(abs,triceps,quads)?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:51 pm 

It doesn't matter!! Why in the world would you want to isolate any muscle?

The body does not work well in muscle isolation. Rather, it works better in movements along a kinetic chain; that is, large portions of the body assist other portions of the body in completing complex movements. In fact, there really is no such thing as muscle isolation. There is almost alway a nearby muscle group that will assist in some way with whatever movement you are doing.

http://bodyfitness.blinkweb.com

Healthy

Sponsored Ad

Post subject: What exercise can I do to isolate my__(abs,triceps,quads)?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:51 pm 

Site Rank: Moderator

Post subject: Re: What exercise can I do to isolate my__(abs,triceps,quads)?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:04 pm 

With every muscle contraction you have an opposing muscle getting a workout as well, all be it a smaller workout... but a workout none the less. I agree with "Bodysculpting" give me the best bang for my buck and let me maxamize as many muscles as possible in my workouts.

Healthy Friend

Post Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:29 am 

When you attempt to 'isolate' muscles by performing single-joint exercies, you are actually creating a body that is non-functional and will be more prone to injury. Essentially, you are creating a body that is a compilatiion of body parts, instead of a powerful, functioning unit that works together.

Now if your really want to end up hobbling around in a body banged up with joint problems, tendonitis, and excess body fat, then by all means, continue to 'isolate' body parts. On the other hand, if you would rather have a lean, muscular, injury free, functional body that works as a complete powerful unit to perform complex movements (in athletics or everyday task), then you need to shift your focus from muscle isolation. Believe me , focusing on how well your body functions will give you the side effect of a body that looks even better than it would have if you focused on muscle isolation. For example, take a look at the physiques of any NFL running back, wide reciever, or even world class sprinters. Trust me when I say that these guys pretty much NEVER train for muscle isolation (their strenght coaches wouldn't be crazy enough to let them), yet they are absolutely ripped to shreds! Just look at guys like Maurice Green or Terrell Owens and tell me who wouldn't want a physique like those guys.

Healthy Friend

Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:12 am 

Another benefit to moving away from thr 'muscle isolation' mindset to a more 'complex movement' mindset is that you will find it much easier to lose body fat. The reason is that by focusing more multi-joint complex movements as opposed to single-joint muscle isolation, you not only burn a lot more calories during each workout, but you also increase your metabolic rate, and stimulate production of more fat burning and muscle building hormones like growth hormone and testoterone.

Let's look at an example. The machine leg extension is a single joint exercise that work mainly the quadriceps, can potentially cause knee joint instability in the long run, and doesn't even burn more calories. On the other hand, exercises like squats, lunges, step-ups, and deadlifts are all multi-joint complex movements that work hundreds of muscles in the body (including the quadriceps) as a functional unit, create more stable and strong joints in the long run (when done properly), and also burn massive quantities of calories compared to the single-joint exercises.

Site Rank: Site Admin

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:48 am 

Is this similar to the cross fit workouts? Have you tried those?

Healthy Friend

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:42 am 

Yes, but with focus on total audience young and old, men and women, nutritional values, etc. Follow this link to the actual program for all the exciting details, http://bodyfitness.blinkweb.com

Sort by  

Page 1 of 1  [6 posts]