Damaged Eardrum ?
 Page 1 of 1  [6 posts]   

Site Rank: Moderator

Post subject: Damaged Eardrum ?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:37 pm 

I went a little too far cleaning my left ear with a Q-tip awhile ago and I think I damaged something in my ear. The odd thing is I don't notice any change in my hearing as I would expect if I'd damaged my eardrum. Though, I'm not sure it's something I should expect but it would make sense to me.

What I do get though, is pain any time there is pressure in that ear. For instance if I fit my finger in my ear and seal the hole them slowly pull out as to create a tiny suction on the outside of my ear I get pain, and a distinctive pop sound when I release the pressure by taking my finger out. It doesn't do that with my right ear.

If I hiccup, cough, or yawn in a way that creates pressure over there I also get a quick pain and hear a pop too.

Healthy

Sponsored Ad

Post subject: Damaged Eardrum ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:37 pm 

Site Rank: Healthy BBF

Healthy BBF

Post subject: Re: Damaged Eardrum ?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:16 pm 

Not that you may have an ear infection now because you stuck a QT in your ear too far... but what could this hurt just to try it??

Hydrogen Peroxide for Ear Infections
Method: Pour hydrogen peroxide directly into the ear.

Ear Infections are caused by bacteria in the wax that builds up inside your ear. The hydrogen peroxide causes a chemical reaction with the bacteria which results in visible bubbling. The hydrogen peroxide dissolves this bacteria and wax, making it an effective home remedy.

Yep, I read this from the Dr. Oz website!!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:01 am 

I have had ear problems all my life, including 2 ruptured ear drums and tubes in and out of my ears as a child. I have lived through a ton of ear infections and they feel exactly the way you are describing. You may have broken a little skin inside your ear and that could have gotten inflamed and then infected. If you did any serious damage to your ear you would probably get a pussy discharge and extreme pain in your ear... it just sounds like you have a low grade infection... but I'm no doctor... just someone who has lived through it all my life! If it lasts longer than a few days you should go get some ear drops from a doctor. My second ruptured eardrum was due to an ear infection that just wouldn't go away and the fluid in my ear drum built up and wore down the skin, so ear infections are not something you should ignore.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:53 pm 

It seems to be getting better. I don't get a popping sound anymore and a change in pressure doesn't hurt like it did before.
We've been having extremely unusual cold here in Florida for the last week, I'm wondering if that has had something to do with it too. I haven't been outside for more than a few minutes for the last couple of days.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:14 pm 

I get a similar pain after I've used earplugs sometimes. all it takes is pushing them in that bit too far and... ouch!

Oddly enough, it only ever happens with my left ear. Must be something that the earplug irritates in there I guess.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:42 pm 

Cold weather definitely causes my ears to act up... especially when I wear warm stuff around them to keep them warm. The shift from hot to cold to hot messes up my ears too... I need to get new ears I guess!

Sort by  

Page 1 of 1  [6 posts]