Dropping the potbelly
 Page 1 of 6  [80 posts]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 

Site Rank: Moderator

Post subject: Dropping the potbelly

Post Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:13 pm 

I finally got around to joining the YMCA this evening. I got tired of procrastinating and waiting for family members to look into programs and discount options yada yada so I just went in and joined on my own. It's actually a little closer than I thought. I could jog there eventually.

Goal #1, lose the pot belly.

Healthy

Sponsored Ad

Post subject: Dropping the potbelly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:13 pm 

Post subject: Re: Dropping the potbelly

Post Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:08 pm 

Day #1: Mostly spent on a bike. I spent a few minutes on a machine that you sit upright in and press the bars straight forward like an upright pushup. Kept my sweatpants and sweatshirt on, both are now soaked in sweat. I'm 5 lbs lighter and tired, but not exhausted.

In total on the bike I did 20 minutes, 3 X 10 minutes, 4 x 5 minutes, and on the chest machine I mustered up 2 sets of 20 at 70 lbs and 2 sets of 15 at 50 lbs.

I didn't figure out there were handles on the side of the bike to hold on to that monitor your heart rate until the last three periods. By that time I had a heart rate of 170-ish and it wasn't until my last 10 minute period that I tried the heart rate control mode of the bike and that think wanted my heart rate down closer to 130-140 so I slowed down.

I like this YMCA, there's a nice mix of people at all ages and fitness levels here. I haven't even explored the whole place yet either. :D

Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:28 pm 

Day #2: Arms and shoulders were a little sore when I woke up today, stomach was a little blehh and I wasn't sure whether it was something I ate or a stomach bug. I almost didn't go today, but felt better towards the end of the day. Stayed on the bike most of the time, tried a few of the chest and back machines inbetween rides.

There were a few of the same people there today who were there yesterday. I'm guessing a couple of them were trainers, I know the big Hawaiian looking guy is because his photo is on the wall. Mostly middle-aged and disabled people there today though.

I'm more tired after getting home today than I was yesterday. The idea of eating something "wholesome" for dinner doesn't sound all that good right now, I think I'm going to eat something light for dinner.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:01 am 

I've lost a few pounds of late simply by using my exercise bike more often. Food intake more or less the same, as is my beer intake. Pedalling really works for fighting the lard lumps, and it's low impact too, which is a bonus.

I've had to knock my usual push up regime on the head of late as I've picked up a shoulder injury- I don't know how I did it, but it's been niggling me for a while. Just moving the joint would give me pain at times, other times nothing. Push-ups really set it off though, so I've sworn off them until the new year- it seems to be working too, it's given me hardly a twinge in the past week or so. Using a set of cables (the elastic chest expander type things) I've been doing some exercises to strengthen the shoulder, I think that's helping too. Oddly enough, though the shoulder is under a lot of strain during said exercises, it doesn't affect it at all.

I'm leaving the kettlebells alone too for the time being , though that's easier to leave than the pushups as I do the kettlebell work outside and it's a tad nippy for all that at the moment!

I suspect doing a bad push up caused it in the first place... :cry:

Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:54 pm 

Day #3: My arms and shoulders were sore before I went to bed yesterday, they've been sore all day today, so I skipped the Y today and I'm doing some stretching. Legs feel great, my right knee was a little sore towards the end of my last ride yesterday but it was fine before bed. I rode about 15 miles each day according to the bikes digital displays.

Arms feel a bit better now that the day's about over and I've taken a shower. I think I should be good to go back to the Y tomorrow for some more bike time. I think I'm going to be a lot more careful with the machines though, I really didn't think I'd done enough to be sore with them.

--

That's a bummer about your shoulder LG. I really haven't changed my food intake either, well, other than eating light for dinner yesterday because of how I felt. I believe it's been at least a couple of months since I've had any alcohol.

Site Rank: Site Admin

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:55 am 

Congratulations on joining the Y!!! I joined the YMCA about 5 years ago for the first time in my life and I have loved it. That's also great that you were down 5 pounds after your first workout!

You know what I have found to help me? Instead of just going in the gym and walking around and doing whatever machine looks appealing at the time, I made up a workout routine to follow for each day of the week (M-F). That way I know what I need to do and I am able to make sure all of the major muscle groups get worked out during the week. Just an idea!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:20 pm 

Day #4: Spent an hour on the bike in 20 minute intervals taking a minute in-between to have a drink and towel some of the sweat off of me. Spent about 15 minutes exploring more machines, again with the back machine, tried a midsection machine that you sit in with your chest against some pads and swing your legs side to side, and a heavy leg press that just feels awkward to use with a gut. Finished off with another 40 minutes on the bike in 20 minute intervals with a drink in-between again.

According to the machine I'm traveling roughly 5.25 miles in 20 minutes. I'd say my average RPM is around 80, I tried to push it towards 100 RPM towards the last couple of minutes of riding. I kept my heart rate close to 125 for the first hour on the bikes, it went closer to 150 on my 4th ride and I got it back down to 130-ish on the last ride.

--

I'm sure I'll get a routine worked out eventually, which is part of the reason I keep updating this thread. :) For the time being I'm trying to focus on being able to get an actual workout without feeling like I'm going to have a stroke, while at the same time getting to know the machines and other equipment. :D

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:01 am 

joebert wrote:
I'm sure I'll get a routine worked out eventually, which is part of the reason I keep updating this thread. :) For the time being I'm trying to focus on being able to get an actual workout without feeling like I'm going to have a stroke, while at the same time getting to know the machines and other equipment. :D

Ha ha, Good point! :)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:37 pm 

Day #5: Started the day by riding my bike to Walmart to get a few things for the Y. Walmart is 3 miles from me, and the Y is 2.6 miles from Walmart, so that's 5.6 miles of riding before I got there. I picked up a larger backpack so I can start bringing extra clothes and whatnot along with some dedicated sweat towels and a water bottle.

Once I got to the Y I went 40 minutes on the bike in 20 minute intervals taking a minute inbetween to have a drink. In total I did three 40 minute rides like that with time on the machines inbetween.

I've found the three machines I want to focus on for awhile. The back machine I've been using, the oblique machine that you sit on and swing side to side with your lower half, and an ab crunch machine that you sit on with your arms up over a bar like you were sitting at a bar and push down to crunch your abs.

I'm doing 100 reps on the machines with what's probably a pretty low weight, though I have to push myself to get the last 20 done. On the oblique machine, since it has adjustable positions that can have you swinging either way, I do 20 rep increments coming from each side 3 times for each side.

I'm actually tired after getting home and taking a shower today. Not sore like I was on day 3, but tired. I didn't eat anything today before going to the Y, when I got there I got a SOBE water since I hadn't had a chance to wash my new water bottle out yet and other than that I stuck with water until I left. I had two small chili dogs when I got home.

The produce shop I had across the street from me closed down recently, so I'm going to have to figure out a way to work around that. There is a Mexican store about a block down that I haven't been in, but if I remember right these types of stores usually have all sorts of good stuff. :D

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:48 pm 

Day #6: Bringing a change of clothes was the right idea, I wasn't miserable with a soaked shirt under my sweater on the ride home today. I didn't think to bring a shower towel or my flip flops though, definitely going to remember them tomorrow.

Started with 40 minutes on the bike today. Bumped the level up one higher for my second 20 minute interval than I've had for the last couple of days. Spent about 20 minutes on the ab, oblique, and back machines, then spent another 50 minutes on the bike, with my last 10 minute interval being one level higher than I'd finished with earlier in the day.

I started to get a chill during my last ride in my sweat soaked shirt, so I called it quits earlier than I wanted today. Now that I'm home, my muscles are sore, but a worked out sore and not a hurt sore.

I may try 30 minutes straight on a bike, followed by some time in the steam room tomorrow then call it a day. Depends on how I feel.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:56 pm 

Wow, sounds like you are doing a lot of cardio! That's good! How much weight are you down now?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:41 pm 

After losing 5 pounds the first day and 3 or so the second (i believe second) day, I've been hovering right at 235 according to my scale, which has me at a total loss of 5 pounds. I thought it was cool to lose 5 pounds the first day, but I don't really expect to drop the weight that fast. I'm aiming to be in at at least halfway decent shape before my 30th birthday in the beginning of July.

I have a feeling that once the types of food I had in my kitchen before I started this run out, and I've got my cardio up enough to push myself harder, the weight will start coming off.

I've been trying not to eat much of anything between waking up and working out. Today I had a small applesauce cup and the day before yesterday I think I had a yogurt. I eat a balanced dinner within about an hour after I get home from the Y. Annnnnd, I uh, kind of snack on the orange creamcicles and the pretzel/butter "flips" crackers I have left up until about an hour before I go to bed. :oops:

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:26 pm 

Day #7: Got about an hour and a half later start than usual today. Laundry, etc.

I started with 50 minutes (20+20+10) on the bike, I'm getting in just a little over 6 miles in 20 minutes now. I did another 20 minutes on the bike before I left for the day, that last 20 minutes really wore me out.

I tried to new machine today that you sit on and lean back against a back support with your elbows up on a pad in a sort of dual arm wrestling position from where you straighten your elbows to lift the weight. Not wanting to have sore arms again I stuck with 100 reps of 30 lbs, of which the last 20 I had to push for.

Spent some time on the oblique machine today. I'm using 70 lbs and switching directions every 20 reps until I have to push to finish 20 from each side. I got in between 80-100 from each side today.

Lost 2-3 pounds today, depending on how you look at the needle on the scale. I think I'm going to ask someone whether there's a scale at the Y on my next visit, my scale sucks.

Forgot to bring my flip flops and large towel today, so no steam.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:42 pm 

Day #8: Woke up with tired muscles today. I did about an hours worth of bike riding around town today running errands, one of which was a complete waste of time other than the bike ride. I really don't feel like going back out today. The Y closes at 3PM tomorrow and is closed all day Christmas. I doubt I'll be able to get there before 3PM tomorrow so I think I'm just going to end up taking 3 days off then starting back on Sunday afternoon.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:46 am 

The Y should have a scale in the locker room... I know that all of the Y's I have ever been to has always had one in the locker room.

The steam room is great! Have you tried it yet?

Anonymous

Sponsored Ad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:46 am 

Sort by  

Page 1 of 6  [80 posts] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next